Sunday, August 30, 2009

I'm a Senior?


It amazes me to think that I am even writing this. I feel like I just came to college yesterday, and I was the one asking for advice. I had absolutely NO IDEA what I wanted to major in when I came college, and I think that is a common mistake. Everyone always says not to worry about that, and that you have plenty of time to decide. Luckily, I just went with something that seemed interesting to me and declared Pre Mass-Comm. Some of my friends waited to declare a major, and now find themselves behind. Most programs are at least two years, so the earlier you declare a major, the better.

One thing I definitely learned last semester is that it's never too early to begin networking and looking for a summer internship. No one is going to hold your hand and help you find an internship. You have to take the initiative to search for internships you are interested in, and find connections in the PR world. The more people you know, the easier it will be to find an internship.

Networking did not come to my naturally at first. I was overwhelmed by meeting so many people so quickly and all the social networking you have to keep up with. Now I realize that it's all just another part of PR. I learned that people are so much more willing to help than I thought. If you do a good job for people, they are usually more than happy to help me in the future. I was so afraid to ask at first, but now it comes much easier.

Obviously I have learned how to manage my time much better. PR is not a major where you can just stay up late trying to get everything done. You have to accurately plan out pretty much every hour of your day because a lot of the work involves other people. I have learned to just do things while I'm thinking about them instead of putting them off for later. My planner is my life saver, and I would probably cry if I lost it. I must write EVERYTHING down. If it doesn't make it in that little book, chances are I will totally forget it.

The last thing I have learned over the past three years (and I'm still learning) is that it's ok to say no. Sometimes I feel obligated to do things merely because they need to be done, whether they are my responsibility or not. I agree to do things that I shouldn't just because I feel guilty if I don't. Although I definitely still struggle with wanting to do everything, I do think I'm getting just a little better. Sometimes it's ok to just to simply say NO... well ok...maybe :)
Ha! I guess I still need to work on that one...

Here we are on the first day of college, and now I'm a senior? How did this happen?



1 comment:

  1. I need to learn to say no too heather! ha and i also dont' know what i would do without my trusty planner! good ting we learned that early on!

    ReplyDelete