Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tipping Point: A Real Life Success Story


The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell really helped me realize how little things can make such a big difference. Throughout the book Gladwell gives example after example of people who focused on what seemed like small details, but eventually evolved into huge success stories.

            The Tipping Point is that one moment in which an epidemic is born. It is the exact moment in which you realize something minor has turned into something major. A Tipping Point basically explains how things that were once just a thought in someone’s head develop into something huge. The Tipping Point is the climax of the story itself.

            Gladwell’s book addresses many key factors on reaching the Tipping Point. His theory is that every Tipping Point can be explained by three rules: the Law of the Few, the Stickiness Factor and the Power of Context. Each of these rules had a lot of great advice about reaching a Tipping Point.

            One thing that could help us with the Athletic Auction is the Law of the Few. It explains that if you relay your message to the right people it will inevitably spread. There are people Gladwell calls, “connectors.” These are the people we need to ensure are helping us spread the word about the auction. We need people that know people. Connectors are those people that seem like they know someone through everyone. The more connectors we have on board the more people we will have at the auction.

            The next law Gladwell goes on to explain is the Stickiness factor. In the book Gladwell uses the examples of two shows that are very sticky for pre-schoolers. Not only are these shows entertaining, but also educational. These shows didn’t just becoming successful overnight. Stickiness takes a lot of labor, tests and revision.

 For the Athletic Auction we need it to be sticky. This is not going to be an easy task, but I think our class can do it. I believe we already have a great theme. The theme is something people can relate too, and that is sticky. We must ensure that the guests feel like they are included and welcome that night from the moment they walk in. We should definitely go all out with the “Thunder Rolls” theme.  It is vital that everything goes along with our theme and everyone has a wonderful time. We want as much to go along with the theme as possible..  We want people to have a night to remember. We want the theme to stick, and we especially want people to come back next year.

            I would say that of the three types of people Gladwell describes, I would like to think I am a connector. The main characteristic of a connector is simply knowing a lot of people. I feel like I know a fairly good amount of people just by being involved in a lot of activities on campus. I keep myself busy, and try to remember the people I introduce myself to. I definitely love meeting new people, and introducing new friends to old ones. I like hooking people up with people they might have something in common with, and I enjoy seeing people make new friends. I feel like I am learning how to network a lot better as I get deeper into the field of PR as well.

            I could definitely see some correlations between Tipping Point and all of my new social applications. These things are just another way to spread the word, or to hear what others are saying. Facebook reminds me of Law of the Few because it compares to an electronic combination of a mavern and a connector in today’s society. If you put something up on Facebook I feel like your entire network of friends is aware of it within hours. People check Facebook, a lot. Putting something on Facebook is like telling something to a mavern who will in turn relay that message to a connector. The word will spread, and fast.

            I am not positive I have reached my own personal “tipping point” as far as social networking goes. I will continue to use these networking tools and keep you posted!



            

6 comments:

  1. Definitely a connector, Heather! Anyone I come in contact with who mentions your name always follows a positive comment. You made quite an impression in our PR presentation. I also think you're a bit of a salesmen. Without being over the top. You are good at making your point and sharing it in a polite, non-threatening manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think you are a connector. You're always so bright and cherry and you lead people in. Plus everyone who meets you remembers you. To me, you will always be the honey girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your a connector as well, but with a little bit of salesperson in you too. The way that you get excited about things and your overall bubbly personality could translate into a good selling point if you wanted it to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree, we need the connectors to be at the auction...we just need to find them! the law of the few is crucial for the auction!

    Good paper heather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that we definitely need to find some connectors in the community, that would help our attendance a lot. Also, agree about the stickiness of the auction itself, hope everything goes to plan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sticky is the way to go! We've got the catchy Thunder Rolls, now all we've got to do is make it STICK to the right people.

    ReplyDelete