Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My next career move?


I came across in article on the PRSA website about big career moves. Of course with the economy how it is right now most people are just attempting to keep their jobs. For a lot of people changing careers or climbling up the corporate ladder is something to think about for the future. Job retention is the main thing on everyone's mind right now. 

Some people may feel like "staying off the radar" is a good choice, but the article states the contrary. If your area in the business is slow, volunteer in other departments. Find something to help out with within the company, whether it is in your expertise or not. 

It seems like a simple concept, but this article really helped me put things into perspective. It really gave some great advice about broadening your career expertise. The author wrote about how vital it is to have a variety of skills when searching for a job, and how now is actually a great time to take advantage of that. 

I really like how this article puts a positive viewpoint on something that many people may consider to be a negative aspect of the business world right now. I will definitely take this article into consideration while working at my internship this summer. If my department is not exactly flourishing, I will do my best to make myself useful elsewhere. I want to get many different experience and skills in the field of Mass Communications as possible. The more areas of expertise I can gain the better off I will be when the real job search begins. 


No comments:

Post a Comment