Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Real World!!!




If you feel like you are ready to graduate and get a job in the real world, this article might change your mind. After reading the article titled, "Job Market Turns Much Worse" I am getting a little apprehensive as graduation approaches. The title of the article pretty much gives away the ending, things out their just aren't good right now. A staggering statistic gives the article a depressing tone right from the beginning,

"Only six in 10 of the graduates had full-time employment six to eight months after graduation. That is the lowest level of full-time employment reported by graduates of the nation’s journalism and mass communication programs in the 23-year modern history of the Annual Survey of Journalism & Mass Communication Graduates."

That's a little scary..60% had jobs? That seems crazy!!!

So what am I going to do about this crashing job market is the big question?

I have been considering this for a while now, especially after doing my summer internship. I have come to the realization that if I am going to find a job in this economy it isn't going to be by filling out an online application. Jobs in today's faltering economy are found by networking. I need to talk to people in the Public Relations world. Let them know that I am qualified and intelligent and ready to take on the world. Random job searching and resume sending is really not going to do much to stimulate my job search.

The job seeking isn't going to be for the weak. I learned that through my internship search. It was hard enough to find an unpaid internship, I can only imagine the possibilities of finding an actual job. I am not someone who gives up easily, and I will not settle for a job bagging groceries or bussing tables. I will network, network, network and search until I find a job in this economy.

I have also been contemplating the idea of grad school. Although this obviously requires a little more school I think it might be the most practical choice at this point in my life. I definitely do not want to end up unemployed in the next few months, and going to more school is not an idea I am totally against. I kinda like college :)


No comments:

Post a Comment