Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Athletic Auction 2009 is a SUCCESS!

Planning the Athletic Auction for 2009 only assured me that event planning is what I want to do post graduation. When we got the motorcycle assignment months ago I couldn't exactly picture it, but Saturday night everything really came together. 
Our class worked so well together under the three AE's for the event. We stuck to out timeline, and everything went so smoothly. At no point did I feel extremely stressed out about anything. I think that is because we were very well organized about everything we were doing. The AE's assigned everyone an equal distribution of work so we all felt like we were contributing to the progression of the action. 
One thing I did learn from the auction was that even professionals mess up sometimes. One of my tasks was to get the T-shirts made for the class. I took the design and sizes to the place before spring break and he said he should have it ready a week later. When the week passed I sent him an e-mail to check up on the shirts, and he responded saying that the shirts would be ready the 10th. Considering that was the day before the auction I asked if we could push it back a day to the 9th. He said that would be fine. 
When I went to pick up the shirts the next day everything was wrong! Not only was the design huge on the front, but they had made up blue shirts. I have no idea how he got this idea. They didn't even have enough black shirts in the store to make the shirts that day, but they said UPS would deliver them the following day. I was just extremely thankful that I had pushed the pick-up date back a date. The owner of the T-shirt shop personally called to apologize and ended up giving me the blooper shirts, and everything worked out great. I learned a valuable lesson about how everyone makes mistakes and sometimes it is just better to plan ahead!
The thought the actual auction was a complete success. Our class worked great together, and everyone got along flawlessly. All the guests at the auction seemed to be having a great time which made all of our hard work totally worthwhile. I even got to be Thunder the Bobcat for a little while, but I won't say that was my favorite part of the night. 
Overall the auction was an amazing experience. We sold more tickets than ever before, and raised the money needed for the scholarships. I can't to plan the next event! 




No comments:

Post a Comment