Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The search for an internship continues...


I will not give up until I find an internship! I began my search back in February, but I guess that was not soon enough. I have sent out my resume to approximately 30 different companies, and I have gotten very few responses. 

The search for an internship has definitely been very educational. I feel like when it comes time next year to search for a job I will remember a few key things: 

1. Connections are KEY! 
Anyone who I have contacted and I have been able to mention a name of someone they knew, has been much more successful. People that know the same people I do are much more willing to work with me, and meet with me. Unfortunately I am just beginning my network of PR professionals in the real-world. I am excited to expand it with an internship this summer. 

2. Persistence is important! 
E-mails are not enough. Unless it says specifically states "no phone calls" sometimes I think it is a good idea to call. One lady e-mailed me and asked me to call her, but I had to call her multiple times before I heard back from her. These people are really busy so they need a few reminders too. 

3. It's never too early to start looking for jobs/internships
There is so much out there it can be overwhelming. You need to have an idea before you just start applying at random places. Maybe if I would have focused my search more into one aspect of PR I would have been more successful. I am currently going through a list of event planners in the Atlanta area. 

I have two interviews set up for Monday after I go home for Easter. One with a lady with the City Club of Buckhead and one with a company called Corporate Events and Meetings. I am excited about both of them, and hopefully one of them will be a success! 

No comments:

Post a Comment