Monday, April 20, 2009

This social network is getting a little crazy...


I officially just joined my SIXTH social networking website, and I have a feeling it's really only beginning. Pubic Relations people LOVE networking. Although I do feel like all these websites are getting a little crazy I was actually very impressed with the PROpenMic website. 

PROpenMic was almost a bit overwhelming when I first logged in. There were so many options I just didn't know where to begin. First I updated my information and chose a theme for my page so it looked presentable. Then I began to explore the website further. I saw a link to post your resume, and I thought that seemed like a good idea. 

I posted my resume, and then continued to click around. I found a list of internships, and jobs which would have definitely been useful during my internship search. I will be using that next year when it comes time to find a job. After clicking around a little more I found this article  about a PR Campaigns class at Auburn. 

I found the article to be very encouraging because this semester I have been doing PR for MBC-4, the GCSU news show. When I first started the position I was starting from scratch. They had never had a PR person, never advertised and had absolutely no budget for me to work with. It has definitely been a challenge, but I feel like MBC-4 has come a long way. This article gave me some great new ideas to publicize the show. If I end of working with MBC again I will definitely have some fresh new ideas next semester. It really is incredible what all social networking can be used for. 

Overall PROpenMic seems like a combination of a lot of the social networks I am already a member of. You can create a profile, chat with online friends and add pictures like Facebook. You can write posts and publish them like Blogger. It updates you on the latest PR news like Twitter. It has a place to look for jobs and internships like LinkedIn. It is really just a fantastic combination of social networks all rolled into one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment