Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My first PR interview


After I already published my post for the week I realized I wanted to write about my first PR interview. Last Monday I interviewed with a company called 360 Media in downtown Atlanta. I found the company online, and decided to apply for their internship. I sent in my resume, and a few weeks later got an e-mail about scheduling an interview. 

As the day came closer I began to get a little nervous, but I felt prepared. I made a mini portfolio and clipped a few of my best Colonnade articles, some things a did for TheraPups, an ad I designed, my best flyer and my resume. I pasted everything on nice paper got some page protectors, and bought an official looking binder. I felt much more confident walking into my interview with all my best work in hand. 

I arrived at the interview with plenty of time to spare and got to sit in the trendy little office waiting for my interview to begin. I absolutely loved the originality and sleekness of the office. Everything was so eye-catching and vibrant. It seemed like it would definitely be a really neat place to work. 

My interviewer came to get me about 20 minutes later, and took me into another well-decorated room. I really liked the attitude of everyone there, and it really made me feel at ease. She began by asking my what I was looking for and the experience I had already had in PR. She then asked my strengths and weakness, and went over a few things on my resume. She then proceeded to tell me all about 360 Media, and how they are very passionate about what they do. One thing I found extremely appealing about the company is that they only take on clients that they are excited about. She said they don't just take on a client for the money, but they want to make sure they are enthusiastic about the project. 

Overall I would say my first real interview was a good one. Whether I get the internship or not it was definitely a great experience. I felt well prepared, and really enjoyed getting to learn about this company first hand. I can't wait until I do get an internship (this one, or another) and I get to start seeing how everything I have learned in all my classes works in the real-world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment